Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Surf School and Family Beach Weekend

Pinit
My family and I spent last weekend (and I mean ALL weekend) at the beach, which is not that unusual for us. What was unusual for South Florida was the great waves. Clean and glassy, my husband was in surfing heaven. And my son too. He's only 18 months old, but he wants to be just like his daddy and I'm sure that he will be surfing almost before he can swim. He was born to be a "boarder" as his dad calls it. Even his name, Dylan, loosely means "Son of the Waves" in Welsh.

We had a great time swimming, building sand castles. digging "pools" in the sand, and playing ring around the rosie with the beach umbrella. And skimboarding too. If you don't know, this is another boardsport where you run and jump on a lightweight board and ride the waves that break right on the shore. My husband loves this sport because he can still ride waves most of the year even when the surf is not great in Florida, which is most of the time.

Dylan was so cute. Daddy was standing with his skimboard watching for another good wave to come. So Dylan grabbed his little body board and went and stood right next to his dad to wait for his turn. I couldn't have asked for a more adorable picture! And when Daddy went running with his board toward the water, so did Dylan. He even threw it down and jumped on it like he was really ready to ride those waves!

Another of the coolest things I've seen in awhile was the surf school birthday party that was happening right down the beach from us. The Blue Water School of Surfing was there teaching about 10 little girls how to surf. And what a perfect day for it! There was this one girl, about 9 or 10 years old, who stood up on the board every single time. She looked like a complete natural and like she was having the time of her life. I admit, I was extremely jealous. I've always wanted to learn how to surf. My husband actually started teaching me a few years ago, but then I got pregnant with Dylan and, as they say, the rest is history. Perhaps I'll try again when Dylan gets a little older. Hey, maybe we can learn together!

If you want to check out surf lessons where you live, try The Surfing Site. They have the best directory of surf schools all over the world that I could find.

Mahalo!

No comments: